I'm a lot of things. But for the time you read this, you can call me yours :)

Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm going through changes. . .

The day I found out "<3" had been added to the Oxford

My grandmother used to tell me
"It's the little things that matter."
As I grew older
I became fascinated with the cracks in the sidewalks
and the lines in my palms,
the tick-tock of a clock or a revolver moving closer to midnight
and the click-clack of the woman's high heels on the street corner.
When I was 4, I was diagnosed with ADHD.
The doctor said I may never know words
and 20 years from now,
as I thumb through the dictionary with my own son
I'll have to say that the man who spent 10 years in school
and 10 becoming disillusioned
was right.

"<3 - noun; a sacrifice you weren't prepared for; an evolution you were not ready to face."

Natural selection doesn't happen in booms and snaps;
it's the tick-tocks,
the seconds you never notice until they've walked away from you,
that you cursed for moving too slowly,
leaving nothing in their wake but letters signed
<3
<3
xoxo
;)

I'm honestly not as bothered by this as the poem would make it sound. I am disturbed by it, yes (only because I can't help but compare it to the artist formerly known as Prince and that worries me greatly) but as a dear friend said "it's cool to see how language has changed over the course of history." Granted, neither < or 3 is a letter. On that grounds, I do wonder where the line will be drawn. But I'm interested to see how things will change.

What has been the strangest change you have seen in your lifetime? Anything at all, hit me! :)

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment